Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Losing Power, Taking a Break and Regrouping

                             http://www.freefoto.com/download/15-54-25/Storm-Clouds  


Recently, most of Baltimore lost power during a brief but crazy storm. I was one of the unlucky ones who actually did not get it back for about a week. Other times ranged from a few hours to a couple days. However, I was lucky in one way because my in-laws, who live very close, are fortunate enough to own a generator so they could provide us with a comfortable place to stay over and also a place we could bring our perishable food.

I would like to say that the time without power made me realize how much we, as people in the modern world, depend on having electricity. I heard a few people mention that they were surprised by this. I feel as though that is somewhat redundant though, and I have already becoming extremely aware of how dependent I am on modern living. However, it did make me long for having a more independent lifestyle. For example, I remember reading in one of Joel Salatin's books about the storage cellar his family has and how they have hundreds of jars of home canned goods and dried meats. They could probably live for months without power. I, however, had to forage through local grocery stores which were quickly running out of everything. I have been wanting to start home canning (eventually) and the extreme weather patterns that are happening are making me think that this is a project I need to start immediately! Bottom line, the experience did make me sad for not having a different life; and having moments like that actually make me sad in themselves because I end up feeling ungrateful for the good life I do have.

The truth is that I have been feeling a little overwhelmed lately with all the new "chores" that I find myself doing on a daily basis now. Since we have a much bigger space than we used to (and not even a whole house at that), I find myself doing exponentially more work. More cleaning and organizing, but also more cooking and food prep. I have been able to do much more than I could, but with every increase in "food quality of life" comes a decrease in my free time. Lately, I have been making slow-cooker chicken stock, homemade ice cream, and tons of soaked beans and grains (a process I have been doing for a long time, but now I can do a lot more at once and save it). Also, still maintaining my water distiller; cleaning and refilling. 

As I am writing this I am wondering if I sound very "complainy" (and after saying how I hate feeling ungrateful...ooops). But the truth is that I would not trade any of it. I love having more space. The closer my husband and I come to owning our own home, the more I realize how much I deeply want one. Homemade chicken stock is really one of the most nourishing, good-for you things you can make and an easy way to add nutrients to other dishes. And for homemade ice cream, forget it, I would not give it up for anything! I feel like I started on this path a long time ago and have to keep trucking down it, as there is no way I am turning back now. In fact I plan on just keep adding more, starting with bread making very soon.
All in all, the break from all this when the power went out was not exactly unwelcome. It made me think that I may have to incorporate some breaks in for myself along the way. For example, doing a lot of prep one week so that I don't have to the next week. Or making things in large quantities and freezing them. All things many other people do who have much busier lives than me! But alas, I am still learning. There are so many great blogs out there from people who are "doing it all" and maintaining a great home life while raising kids and/or working. There is also the other side of it, which is what I used to do, which is dealing with a small space and having to buy a lot of things and the frustration that can come with that (finding good products, high cost etc.)

So I assume we are all just figuring it out...but I would love for this to really become an advice blog and a place for people to share their struggles, so any comments would be greatly appreciated!





No comments:

Post a Comment