Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Blog Creation: A Short Story


Since this is my first post, I thought I would tell everyone a little about why I am creating a blog and explain the theme for it...
For a long time, probably since about high school, I have been interested in organic farming and natural food. However I did not ever think about local food and most of my interest in food was centered around being a vegetarian. A few years later, while earning a BS in Nutrition, I discovered a book called "Real Food" by Nina Planck. All of a sudden, a whole new world was opened up for me. I started eating meat (slowly, but surely) and starting going to the NYC farmers markets weekly. I also started to regard a good majority of the information I was learning in my university nutrition program as incorrect (still do). But, the science I learned was very valuable and actually helped me further understand why most modern nutrition is incorrect. 
 -side note: there are very good alternative nutrition programs, I was just not in one : (

I would like to share my journey with people because I do think people, in general, benefit from others experiences. However, I do not plan on being a strictly nutritional blog. I actually am more interested in putting my beliefs and attitude about food towards other aspects of my life.

Let me explain. Lots of us buy local, small production food (yey!). But for me (and this is probably more obvious to many others), I have not been putting that focus onto other purchases and lifestyle choices. I have bought clothes made very far away and in an unethical manner. Ditto for shoes, makeup... lots of other things. My long term plan is to slowly start to amend my ways by becoming more aware of, really, everything I do. I do not plan on changing overnight and I also plan to explore many options...and write about them all.

Also, since I have recently moved from a very local product centered city to a big sprawling one, it will probably be a long journey for me in terms of figuring out where to shop and how to acquire nourishing food. I plan to document that as well, and also maybe get to interview some farm owners along the way. I also plan on doing more things for myself and for me and my husband's little home, as we have more space and a higher quality of home life than we did in our tiny Manhattan apartment.  So that is my concept for returning to a smaller production or "cottage" way of life. Learning to be happy with myself and my decisions and hoping others will help me along the way.

Recommended reading: Real Food by Nina Planck
Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon 
Folks this ain't normal by Joel Salatin

No comments:

Post a Comment